Thank you for your interest in becoming a mentor! If you are a Whiz Kids tutor and have been working with your youth for four months or more, you may be eligible to mentor them through City Gospel Mission’s faith-based mentoring program.
Please pray about your commitment to become a mentor. It is critical that you do not begin a mentoring relationship unless you have the time, energy, and commitment to fulfill this relationship with your mentee. A mentoring commitment is:
- 1 year, 1-3 hours per week (renewable yearly)
- Speak to and meet with your Volunteer Mentor Coach once a quarter for encouragement, support and prayer
- Complete an online evaluation once a quarter (the ENDS: Life Transformation Roadmap)
Mentor Application Process
- Email our Director of Mentoring and Youth Development at firstname.lastname@example.org with: First and Last Name, Whiz Kids Site you tutor through, length you have been tutoring, your gender and the gender of the youth you are tutoring
- The Director of Mentoring will then send you a link for the mentoring opportunity at your site. You’ll complete your application, which includes confirming your alignment to the Statement of Faith as well as a background check and references.
- Once you clear the background check (usually 1-2 weeks afterwards): a) We conduct a Home Visit at your home with your coach. b) you attend New Mentor Training at City Gospel Mission
- We have a Match Meeting with you, the youth and their family to level-set the expectations for the mentoring relationship moving forward (and fill-out important documents regarding the youth).